Fried Green Tomatoes

This as I understand is primarily a southern dish and as I researched recipes I read that some people like to deep fry pickles.  Yuck! That just sounds so disgusting and like fair food to me.  So if tomatoes don't sound gross then give it a try and let me know how they turn out.  I do realize that it isn't tomato season everywhere in the USA, but maybe this will inspire you to plant some tomato plants or ponder the thought of a garden.
Here are my green tomatoes that I bought at the farmers market and for the first time in my life I made fried green tomatoes.  I had never eaton them and had always wanted to try.  I think they turned out pretty good for a first timer.

5 tomatoes sliced up sort of thick.
Corn Meal
Janes Crazy Mixed up salt
Flour
Eggs
Milk
Pepper
Just mix the dry ingredients together and in a separate bowl mix the eggs and milk.  I made sure I had the oil nice and hot before placing the tomatoes in the pan.  Dipping the tomatoes into the wet then dry and then into the hot oil.  They are really greasy so I recommend a strainer or paper towels or both.  But they are quite tasty dipped in ranch dressing and it was fun to try something new.
It really is a different picture of health in comparison to the first photo when they're freshly picked.

Just remember everything in moderation... bon appetite!
P.S.  I think these ingredients would taste really yummy on fried chicken and maybe trade the milk out for buttermilk.  I'll let you know if I try it.

Comments

  1. This is one of my dad's favorite foods! Pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there - I saw your comment on Fly Through Our Window and linked to your blog. I have always wanted to make FGTs but I am a northern girl and the only reason we even know about them is because of the movie ;) Are they unripe tomatoes or just a green (ripe) tomato? I would love to try your recipe - they look delicious. You asked Darby about P90X... I am not atheletic... not at all! However, my husband bought it about a month ago and I have been doing it. Buy it, you will thank yourself! If nothing else, I am much more flexible and feel healthier! I do not follow it perfectly and I did not buy the supplements other than the two day fast which I just finished and feel fantastic from. I just try to do my best with the videos and the stretching... it's amazing and worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the movie so much I bought it years ago. The tomatoes aren't ripe when you make this so don't wait too long after you buy them or you'll have to make spaghetti sauce.
    Thanks for the advise on the P90X. I'm really working on getting my brother~n~law to loan me his {since I just know he's not using it} for free. For now I'm going to use my gym pass and hit the weights and treadmill... just need to keep away from Pioneer Woman's blog {buttermilk fried chicken & deep fried onion rings} I think my taste buds need to be burned off so this city girl will quit eating farm food.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts