Recipe: Mom's Cinnamon Rolls

As promised here is the recipe for the treats... I have been crazy busy and finding myself saying things like "please don't use the fridge door  as a drinking fountain" and "don't do flips on the couch" and "use your indoor voice we have neighbors upstairs and lots of tile now"... maybe that explains why they listed there place just this past week...

So here goes!  
Scald 2 cups of milk in saucepan on medium heat (I use a candy thermometer 150 degrees).  In a bowl put 2 cups warm water (not hot because it will kill the yeast) 2/3 cup sugar and 2 pkg yeast (I use fast rising).


When milk comes to a scald temperature remove pan from heat and add 2/3 cup Crisco or half margarine  and 4 tsp. salt.  ~As a side note I have a thing with buying name brand items particularly if they are going to last long in the cupboard.  I cannot stand to gaze at generic labels... weird this may be, but I don't care.  I prefer bright and colorful! ~


In a clean bowl whip up 4 eggs and when the yeast is foaming and milk is warm (I cool my milk mixture 45 minutes before combining), mix 3 mixtures together.  Add NO more than 12 cups of flour.  Just add a little flour at a time.


Mix and then knead by hand until it  forms a ball and is not gooey.  After you can handle it and it doesn't stick to your hands or surface... lightly butter large bowl and also butter dough ball.  Cover with large towel and place it in the oven with light on until it raises to double in size.  Punch down.  Repeat placing in oven-let rise again.  Punch down.
While all is rising.  In pans spray with Pam (or use butter/Crisco... that's what I do... I know can you say heart attack) and put brown sugar in pans. 


Roll 1/2 of dough on LIGHTLY floured surface, butter and sprinkle with sugar & cinnamon, raisins or dried cranberries.  Just be creative!  Roll up, cut, put in pans.  Return to oven and let rise once more (not very long this time).  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  You can drizzle icing on top if you wish.


WARNING:  Do not double this recipe, but you can cut it in 1/2.  Also be sure and allow yourself several hours to complete this... it is not recommended to start making this at 6:30 p.m. unless you are a serious night owl with no small owlets!
mmm.... just typing this makes me want to bake some up!
  

Comments

Popular Posts